Wednesday, October 14, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

One of my goals in the Nonfiction Challenge is variety. I didn’t want to read all medieval history or biography, though that’s where my nonfiction reading is generally concentrated. I think I’ve done a fairly good job of keeping my challenge choices diverse. (So much so that I’ve hardly read anything medieval this year!) I discovered my current read, We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie on another blog that I follow.

This compact book is an essay that is adapted from a TED talk so the style is very accessible. She makes her points (to be called a feminist is not an insult!) and sprinkles the book with anecdotes that will have people nodding along. The problems she discusses are not new, but her book is thought-provoking because the discussion is so reasonable and well laid out. It was not particularly startling, and as a call-to-action, it was not so much inspiring as supportive. But it’s a great summarization of the issues and well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment